Showcasing the cultural richness and diversity of contemporary Australia
From May to October 2021, we are daring the French to discover Australia.
Our partnerships with France’s pre-eminent cultural venues set the stage for headline events in Paris complemented by projects and collaborations in key locations across France, including Normandy and Provence.
We need your support to make all this – and more – come to life!
Program highlights could include:
- Indigenous Australian culture will be on display in several museums across France. The Musée du quai Branly – Jacques Chirac, close to Australia since its creation, and the Natural History Museum of Le Havre will present Australian works through two fascinating new exhibitions.
- The Palais de Tokyo will commission a major new work by Indigenous multi-media artist Jonathan Jones.
- The George Pompidou Centre will illustrate the major role of Australian female artists in abstract art.
- Gastronomical events highlighting Australia’s unique fusion cuisine, native bush foods and food technology, including a dinner for one thousand guests at the Carreau du Temple in Paris and collaborations between leading French and Australian chefs.
- An extensive performing arts program presenting Australian companies across major French venues: Theatre National de Chaillot, Theatre de la Ville, the Parc de la Villette and Les Theatres in Marseilles and Provence.
- Projecting Australia’s starpower, the Cinémathèque Française will organise a three-month retrospective on a legendary Australian director.
- Bondi in Paris! The annual Paris Plage beach festival in the heart of Paris will celebrate Australia’s relaxed beach culture, water safety and clean oceans; our love of the great outdoors as well as Australia’s advanced detection and treatment of skin cancer.
- An exciting curation of Australia’s leading brands and emerging designers will be presented in the trend-setting BHV Marais department store.